"It is possible to believe that all the past is but the beginning of a beginning, and that all that is and has been is but the twilight of the dawn. It is possible to believe that all that the human mind has ever accomplished is but the dream before the awakening. We can not see, there is no need for us to see, what this world will be like when the day has fully come. We are creatures of the twilight. But it is out of our race and lineage that minds will spring, that will reach back to us in our littleness to know us better than we know ourselves, and that will reach forward fearlessly to comprehend this future that defeats our eyes. All this world is heavy with the promise of greater things, and a day will come, one day in the unending succession of days, when beings, beings who are now latent in our thoughts and hidden in our loins, shall stand upon this earth as one stands upon a footstool, and shall laugh and reach out their hands amidst the stars."
- H.G. Wells, 1902.
Five goals toward which I'd like to help us make significant progress by 2010:
- Robust futures planning. Scenarios, backcasting, soft path analysis...understanding the possible, planning for the predictable, adapting to the inevitable surprises.
- Ethical economics and deep accounting. Money is like energy: we can harness it in a more sustainable and reliable way. Accounting and auditing are like socio-economic sensors: as they improve, we better understand subtle costs and the reasons behind system failures.
- Collaborative heuristics and collective intelligence. Tools, technologies, customs, and groups that can supply the social ingenuity our civilization will need to keep moving forward.
- An insightful reputation ecology. I laid out our vision in Manifesto for the Reputation Society.
- Positive media that moves us forward. That's why I'm here at Worldchanging!
Contact Hassan at hassan at worldchanging.com